Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Custom Explorer Bass Makeover: Part One

Related Posts   

This is a no-name Explorer-style bass with a solid wood body and rosewood fretboard. It was totally covered in some kind of gold flake when I first got it. Yes, shame on me for forgetting to take a pic of that. Anyway, my job was to strip the body and neck down to bare wood and refinish it so that the grain would be visible. I used a heat gun and scraper to remove the gold flake from the body, neck, and headstock; that created a gooey mess that stuck to everything.

Once I'd gotten rid of that layer; I was in for a surprise. Underneath was a hidden background of black. There were also intricate patterns etched into the wood surrounding the pickups, highlighted by some kind of pale filler. Similar etchings covered the upper perimeter of the body, perhaps in an attempt to simulate binding. All these had to go, of course. After hours of sanding, I managed to reduce everything to bare wood. Following this, a control cavity plate was fashioned from black pickguard material. Well, that's about it for this post :)











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.