Tuesday, July 21, 2020

ESP LTD M-10 Electric Guitar: Part One

Related Posts 
Part One | Part Two | Part Three

If you really have to buy a used guitar, do take the time and trouble to check it out personally. And if you don't know all that much, be sure to bring along a friend who does. If you don't, you might end up with an ESP LTD like this one. It belongs to a close friend's son, so I really feel his pain. Dad told me to "do to it as you would your own guitar." Ok, Dad; I hear you loud and clear.

For starters, it's full of grime and crud; not to mention rust and corrosion. The grime, crud, and corrosion I can probably scrub off. However, parts that are too rusty to be saved will have to be replaced. The electronics barely work, and as they're corroded; I'll be replacing them.

The previous owner had put on some strap locks. The one at the butt end is okay, but the one attached to the upper horn completely tore away; leaving a gaping hole. I'll be plugging that and redrilling, for sure. Other than that, the high E bridge stud of the tune-o-matic clone bridge is completely frozen. 

It's stuck to the bushing, which is so loose that when I turn the stud; the bushing turns too. So I've managed to remove the whole stud/bushing combo. The next step will be to decouple the stud from the bushing, do a cleanup and lube; and find a way to make the bushing fit snugly in its hole.

Last but not least, one of the bridge humbucker ring's screws is so rusty that there's nothing left for a screwdriver to grip. If I tried drilling into the screw head, the heat would damage the ring. Likewise if I tried to saw through it to create a groove of sorts, the ring would still be damaged. So, what the heck, I'm going to cut into the ring, pry it loose; and then remove the stubborn screw with a pair of pliers. Yes, this means that I'm going to have to replace the pickup ring. Ah well, you can't win em' all.

I kinda like this guitar, you know. It's got a reverse headstock, nice black finish; and plays well. One weird thing (for me, at least) though, is that while "ESP" is proudly emblazoned on the pickup coils; they're actually made by Belcat; a Chinese company. So, what gives, ESP? Well, that's all for this post. Thanks for dropping by. Stay home, stay safe; and stay tuned for further updates on this ESP LTD M-10.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.