Saturday, July 04, 2020

TGM JPM100 Copy Needs an Overhaul

Here's a decent-looking HSH locking trem-equipped 6-stringer by TGM Guitars. A little investigation on the web tells me that it's a faithful copy of a 1997 Ibanez JPM100 P3 John Petrucci Signature Picasso electric guitar; save for the 5-way blade selector switch. No, I'm in no way promoting copy guitars. I do, however, appreciate that not everyone has the dinero to score a true-blue "branded" guitar. So, if a copy of their dream guitar is all they can afford; I'll humbly do my best to get it up to snuff.

This TGM came in for an overhaul, so to speak. The pickups and electronics had seen better days, the fretboard needed reconditioning, and the Floyd-Rose licensed locking trem was crying out for a thorough servicing. Turns out the middle pickup had a broken coil and magnet. I managed to replace it with an old vintage-output single coil I had lying around.

The trem and locking nut had a few parts that needed to be replaced. As luck would have it, the owner brought me two trems he'd salvaged from somewhere; so all I had to do was cannibalize them for the needed components. The TGM was also missing both its control and trem cavity covers. I DIY-ed suitable replacements from a piece of black pickguard material I had on hand.

There was just enough left in the budget for an electronics upgrade, so in went Alpha 500K pots, a five-way switch; ceramic disc tone cap; and Neutrik/Rean NYS229 output jack. Then, after reconditioning the fretboard, this TGM was strung with 9s and given the usual setup.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.