Saturday, July 11, 2020

Custom Neck-Through Tele Rehab: Part One

Quick Links:    Part One | Part Two | Part Three | Part Four

This is a Tele-style guitar, no doubt. It was custom built for the owner, who then handed it over to an individual or number of individuals for further "upgrades." And now it's come to me for some serious rehabilitation. Gnarly finish, no pickups or electronics; and no control cavity cover. 

A very attractive guitar all the same. Intricate abalone inlays, neck-through construction, five-piece maple neck, strings-through-body; never mind that the holes for the string ferrules are seriously out of alignment.

The first stage of rehab involved a partial refinish. Partial as in I did not sand down right to bare wood as it was stained and I did not want to have to do a lot of restaining. Turns out I did burn through the finish along the edges and center of the body, and had to restain the affected parts with StewMac ColorTone Liquid Stains

Vintage Amber (#5030) was used to restain the maple center, and for the edges; a mixture of Medium Brown (#5033) and Red Mahogany (#5032). Next, I filled the grain with StewMac ColorTone Clear Grain Filler so as to provide a relatively even base for the Tru-Oil that would be applied.

Then I remembered that I had not fashioned a control cavity cover yet. So I put the refinish on hold, and got right down to cutting and shaping one out of black pickguard material. I made two at one go, the other one being for the Explorer-style bass I'm also working on.

As I write this, the Tru-Oil refinish is complete and I'm moving on to the pickups and electronics. Two humbucker-sized P90 clones have arrived, and the neck pickup won't fit in its cavity. There's going to be a bit of chiseling and Cremeling to do, no doubt. Do stay tuned for the next installment. Till then, stay home, stay safe; and keep on rocking the free world :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.