Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Cadenza EA322 Acoustic-Electric Roundback

This Korean-made roundback was sent in for a thorough check-up. Right off the bat, I noticed that the stock EQ-50 preamp was dead in the water. Initial investigations revealed a broken plastic output jack. Perhaps the problem was due to the broken jack, dirty contacts or a flat 9V battery; I thought to myself. 

However, servicing with contact cleaner, putting in a fresh battery and soldering on a Neutrik Rean NYS230 stereo jack did no good. I thought of taking a look at the circuit board and related wiring but these were hidden inside a riveted metal enclosure, and therefore inaccessible. 

This being the case, the most viable solution was to replace the EQ-50 with a brand new EQ-7545R preamp system. While I was at it, the cracked and crumbling string nut was also replaced. Additionally, there was the need for a new saddle, as the piezo element of the EQ-50 system was epoxied to the underside of the existing saddle.

After fretboard conditioning and a good all-round cleaning, waxing and polishing; this Cadenza EA322 Acoustic-Electric Roundback was strung with a set of 10-47s and tuned to pitch. I then put the Cadenza through its paces both unplugged and amplified through my trusty Joyo MA-10B amp. Was I pleased with the results? Oh yes I was, as seen in this YouTube Video.





Bound Darkwood Fretboard

Wooden Top and Rounded Back

Neck Heel and Strap Button

Butt End Strap Button

Soundhole Rosette

Truss Rod Adjustment Nut

Soundhole Label

Kerfing

Top Bracing

Darkwood Bridge

Old Saddle and Piezo Element

EQ-50 Preamp and Broken Jack

New EQ-7545R Preamp




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.