Thursday, August 13, 2020

HSS Strat Copy Overhaul: Part One


According to the guy who sent it in, 'someone' left this sunburst HSS Strat copy lying in a corner uncovered (nekkid) for two years. Seems that almost every part of this instrument is covered in dust, grime, rust; and stains from some kind of liquid (your guess is as good as mine). Yes, folks; it's time for an overhaul!

So far I've dismantled most everything that needs to be cleaned, serviced; or replaced. The saddle height hex screws will definitely be junked; if I can somehow remove them. Same goes for the nut, output jack plate and electronics. I'll be keeping the trem springs and strap buttons, though; as they have a certain mojo.

The pickups are working, thank goodness. The white tape protecting the coils of the humbucker has started to disintegrate; so I've gingerly removed it and done a re-wrap with proper black cloth pickup tape. Looking at the pics I've posted might not be a pleasant experience, I realize. 

However, I believe that the onus is on me to show readers just what outright neglect can do to a guitar in time. Thanks for checking out this post. See you real soon in Part Two, and don't forget to give your guitars lots of TLC :)

Note: Fender®, Stratocaster®, Strat®, Telecaster®, Tele®, P Bass®, Precision Bass®, and the distinctive headstock designs of these guitars are registered trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.