Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Taurus Warlock Copy

"Rusty strings on my old guitar
Speaks volumes of who you are.."
-- Joe Bonamassa, 2012

It looked like a BC Rich Warlock, but said "Taurus" on the headstock. I doubt if the manufacturer of this instrument had anything to do with present-day Taurus guitars, so I'll hazard a guess that it was born somewhere in the far east.

This Taurus Warlock Copy, as sent to me; could only be described as gnarly: zombie electronics, missing strap buttons, tarnished frets, grimy rosewood fretboard; and unbelievably high action. So high, in fact; that it was unplayable. And don't get me started on those rusty strings or ultra-deep nut slots.

I worked on the electronics first, junking the whole wiring harness and rewiring in a generic box-type 3-way toggle switch, Alpha A500K pots, 0.022uF cap; and Neutrik/Rean NYS229 jack. The guitar came back to life after that, I'm glad to say.

Once that was taken care of, I reconditioned the fretboard, finishing off with a few drops of lemon oil. But what about the high action? Well, tightening the truss rod, shimming the neck; and lowering the saddles took care of that. While I was at it, I also reprofiled the nut so that the strings weren't "buried" in the slots.

After adding strap buttons and polishing the body, the guitar was delivered to its owner. But wait, there's more! The owner, driven by his creative instincts, cleverly used a roll of zebra-patterned tape to spruce up his beloved Taurus. I must say, the results are stunning indeed.
           













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.