Sunday, September 09, 2018

1997 Gibson Les Paul Custom

When this guitar arrived at my doorstep, I was thrilled beyond words. I mean, this was the very first Les Paul Custom I'd ever worked on. Out of curiosity, I took a few pics and emailed them to Gibson Customer Service. Within 24 hours (bravo GCS), they replied that the "pictures and serial number" were "consistent with a Les Paul Custom model in Ebony finish, made on the 202nd day of 1997 in Nashville, TN." So, what I had in my hands was the real deal, and not a well-made knockoff. Besides the obvious, I've managed to ascertain a number of specs, thanks to the Gibson Guitar Board.

Finish:        Ebony
Body:        Mahogany/carved maple top
Neck:        One-piece mahogany/1959 rounded LP shape
Fingerboard:    Ebony/22 frets/24.75" scale/mother-of-pearl block inlays
Nut Width:    1.6875"
Pickups:    Alnico Humbuckers: Neck - 490R/Bridge - 498T
Controls:    2 volumes/2 tones/3-way switch
Hardware:    Gold
Bridge:        Tune-o-matic/stop bar tailpiece
Binding:    "Sumptuous multiple binding" on body/neck/headstock

Work Done
Fret dressing
Hardware cleanup/polish
Electronics cleanup
Rewiring
New tone caps: Sprague "orange drop" 0.022uF
    




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.