Friday, June 26, 2020

SX Standard Series Strat-Style Left-Handed Conversion

The first thing I was asked to do on this right-handed SX Standard Series Strat-style was to convert it to a left-handed instrument. This basically meant flipping the nut and stringing it with the high E string closest to the ceiling. But as the existing nut was broken, it was best to simply install a new one.

The guitar had not been played in years and was full of grime, crud and rust. The electronics had crapped out altogether, and as for the hardware, well; the less said the better. I should also mention that the stock tuners were missing their nylon washers, would not turn; and were thus unusable.

However, the owner wanted these tuners retained because he really loved the "SX" logo stamped on the back. Yeah, I thought they looked cool too. So he went on a world-wide online search for replacement washers. Finally found them in a UK store; but they didn't ship to Malaysia. Major bummer!

Now, it so happened that I had a couple of used Vape device OCC (Organic Cotton Coil) sourced from a nearby Vape shop. "Sourced" meaning I got them for free as they were going to dispose of them anyway --- lucky me! Some of these OCCs had silicone ring washers which fit the SX tuners quite nicely; albeit after a little modification. Each tuner required 3 or 4 of these washers to get it turning again. Thank goodness! Realizing that these washers would need to be replaced somewhere down the road; I gave him all the extras I had fabricated.

The stock electronics were replaced with Alpha 250K pots, five way switch, 0.022uF tone cap; and Neutrik/Rean NYS229 output jack. Once I'd completed this, I discovered to my dismay that the control cavity was now too narrow to accomodate the full-sized Alpha pots. So out came the mallet, chisels and "Cremel" (Chinese Dremel knockoff). A few hours later, and I managed to get the pickguard on like it should.

When I was finally done, the only stock parts on this guitar were the neck, tuners, body, plastic control knobs, pickguard, back cover, pickups; and bridge plate. It had been a lot of work, but at least the owner now had a left-handed guitar to call his own.














2 comments:

  1. "Cremel" this is funny Cikgu.

    Today I did a search of the guts of the Boss FV-50. Turned out your post from 2011 had the most detailed pictures. Thank you for that post.

    Keep up the good work, visitors count has climbed positively. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, reading this post; and the kind words. I really do appreciate it. I got the "Cremel" idea from "Chibson," hehehe. You're most welcome concerning the FV-50 pics. I only recognize the pots and jacks. The rest of it is an alien landscape :) Glad I could help. Once again, muchas gracias, and do drop by again.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.