Monday, June 29, 2020

Squier Classic Vibe Starcaster - Part Two


Partial Refret

As promised in Part One, here's why and how I carried out a partial refret on Fizan's Squier Classic Vibe Starcaster. You see, Fizan was having a hard time with his high E string. On certain songs, it would get trapped under the fret ends of the last two frets; forcing him to stop playing immediately. 

After looking closely, I realized that the high E fret ends of both the 21st and 22nd frets had become unseated from the fret edge, creating a string-trapping gap. Compounding the issue were 45 degree fret end bevels, making it very easy for the high E string to "slide off" the frets.

Now, I do appreciate the advantages of undercutting fret tangs and sealing off the ends with filler: neater appearance, smoother feel; and less work (no need to file the fret tangs flush with the fretboard edge). I mean, I have used this technique myself on numerous refret jobs. However, if not done with the utmost care, the lack of a fret tang gripping the fingerboard edge tight may very well cause it to lift.

I first tried hammering the fret ends back in, but to no avail. As such, the only option left was to pull those two frets and install new ones; ie a partial refret. I did not have any of Fender's "narrow-tall" fretwire on hand, so I used the smallest size I had; namely StewMac #149.

No, I did not employ the undercut fret tang/filler method on this partial refret. I did not want to see history repeat itself. It was safer to use the tried-and-true approach of filing the fret tangs flush with the fretboard edge. Yes, there would be minor finish chipping which would need to be touched up, and the fret ends would not match the others; they'd stand out like a sore thumb upon closer inspection. 

I would also bevel the fret ends at around 10 degrees only, creating a wider playing surface and minimizing the risk of the high E string sliding off the frets. I discussed my game plan with Fizan, and thankfully, he was okay with it; as long as the problem was solved.

And so I proceeded with the partial refret, as shown in the pictures below. The hardest part was leveling, radiusing, and creating "fall-away" on just those two fret tops without scratching their neighbors. I basically employed various thicknesses of tape, a 9.5" radius block, and fret rocker for the task. Guess what? I still ended up lightly scuffing the top of the 20th fret. No worries, I was able to polish out those pesky scuff marks. Whew, what a relief!

Once the partial refret was complete, the Squier Classic Vibe Starcaster was set up with D'Addario 9-42s; as per Fizan's instructions. He came to pick it up in the afternoon, tried it out for awhile; and gave me the thumbs-up. That night, I happened to be at HM Studio; and passed by the rehearsal room where Whizzer was practising. Through the glass door, I caught a brief glimpse of Fizan. He was wearing a face mask; but I could detect a twinkle in his eyes :)












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.