Thursday, February 18, 2016

1984 Ibanez RS130 | Part Two

Full Refret


Related Posts   
Part One | Part Two | Part Three | Part Four | Part Five     

This post is the second of a five-part series on a gloss black Ibanez Roadstar II RS130 Strat-styled guitar. In this post, I will focus on the full refret carried out. To start off, this guitar's frets appeared to be original, and as expected, were terribly worn and in need of replacement. The back of the neck, as well as the fingerboard face and edges; were scarred and pitted.

To compound the situation, the original lacquer had chipped off in several places, and the exposed maple there had become blackened; a sure sign that decay was setting in. After removing the original frets, I sanded the whole neck lightly and cleaned the fret slots of gunk and other debris. In the process, I also smoothed out the chipped finish, and sanded off any decayed wood I found.

I then ran water-thin superglue under the edges of the cracked finish to seal them. Superglue was also used to even out the pitted and scarred wood surface, especially along the fingerboard edges. Having taken care of that, I refretted the neck as I usually do, using Fender "Jumbo Guitar" fret wire.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are highly appreciated.