Monday, May 20, 2013

Korg AX3000G

Thanks to the downpour on Saturday night (May 18), my trusty AX3000G got soaked to its circuit boards. Had no choice but to dismantle it. Let's take a peek at the innards.











Friday, May 10, 2013

Regent Semi Acoustic: Ready to Rumble

There was more work to be done on this guitar than I had originally expected, and I ended up taking it apart completely. The headstock was in particularly bad shape, having been mutilated numerous times over the years. There were numerous unfilled screw holes and even chunks of wood missing, gouged out by some individual in the past. As Tojeng wanted a new set of tuners put on, some remedial work was needed. I filled up all the screw holes and cavities with epoxy, sanded it relatively flat, and finished off with sanding sealer, gloss black, clear lacquer, rubbing compound, auto polish (silicone free); plus loads of elbow grease.

All the hardware (including the Bigsby-style vibrato tailpiece) was grimy, tarnished and rusty, so out came the sandpaper, steel wool, files, and good old Autosol. Sad to say, after sweating it out for days, it was not possible to remove all the rust. However, I did have better luck with the many rusty screws on the guitar, having sourced suitable replacements from various hardware stores and car/motorcycle workshops in Kuantan. One kind motorcycle workshop owner even gave me a few bolts for free.

As for the four-ply body, a previous Gotoh bridge humbucker transplant had left its mark in the form of numerous deep splits and cracks. These were duly repaired with a mixture of wood filings and super glue. As a refinish was not on the cards, the affected areas were only sanded and polished; leaving the repair job highly visible.

On to the guts, then. You might have noticed that the pots are all 250K, and the caps 0.047mfd. Rather unconventional, but Tojeng loves the tone, and so these values were maintained. There were a number of suspect solder joints, so I decided to rewire the whole thing. This job included putting in new caps, running a ground wire from the switch body to the bridge, and replacing the worn out stereo jack with a generic mono one (sorry, no Switchcraft).


I'm pleased to report that the Regent has been restrung with Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys and is now ready for some serious action onstage in the hands of its proud owner, Tojeng. Here are some pics for you.

Here are the guts. Note the 250K pots, 0.047mfd caps and stereo output jack.

After rewiring.

Everything sounds as it should, so it's time to put everything back together. Note the repair job around the bridge pickup cavity and bridge plate ground wire.

The result of loads of sweat and elbow grease.

Headstock repair job and a new set of tuning machines.

New screws and cleaner hardware.